Tuesday, November 3, 2009

IMMUNIZATION CLINIC ...in the middle of nowhere!!!

I showed you a few pics of the Kibaale Community Clinic in one of my first posts... this is a little bit better of a shot. The Clinic is on the gated property of the Kibaale Community Centre but it is open to the Public Monday - Saturday (and it's always busy!).

The Clinic is configured around a Courtyard and the setting is really very nice. (I took this picture after the clinic was closed but there are usually people lining the hallways!).

One of the Services that the Medical Clinic provides for surrounding Communities is a free IMMUNIZATION CLINIC. People walk for hours with their babies on their backs to come to have their children weighed and immunized (& in many cases, it was "older" siblings carrying the babies to the clinic ...I use the term "older" loosely - many babies were brought by their 5,6, or 7yr old Siblings!!!). On this particular Wednesday, we drove 45min into a very remote Community. Once again, my only nursing role was that of Pill-Pusher... but I was actually thankful! The only word I can use to describe this clinic is intense. The people were patient and not pushy at all but we weighed, immunized and medicated over 100 children and we were moving them thru the lineups as quickly as we could. I think I may have felt a little flustered if I had been given a much more significant role!!




No comments:

Post a Comment