Monday, October 12, 2009

Our First Home Visit - NASSUUNA GRACE


Tuesday afternoon was VERY cool. James, myself, and 2 staff (Jamie & Rose - who work with the sponsorship program) went on a home visit equipped with GIFTS which were generously donated by our wonderful Friends and Family at home...let me tell you, I could not be more proud to have you as my Friends...

We went to the home of our Sponsor-child, Nassuuna Grace. She lives about a one hour walk from the school (which she does in her bare-feet... along a dirt road which includes a loooong hill!). Grace lives with her Mother and 2 step siblings. Her father had been a successful business man in town but he had left his family for another and when he died (very recently) he left NOTHING for Grace and her Mom except for their home (no beds, or pots or anything...). As I mentioned b4, we went to the market... where we bought 3 Bed sets (mattress, sheet and blanket), cooking pots and utensils, bowls and cups for eating/drinking, some staple foods like maze, big bars of soap and basins for washing clothes and paraffin for fire/light... we also grabbed some Sodas and candy as a treat (which made Grace pretty happy!).

Grace met us at the KCF (Kibaale Children's Fund) office after school (she's in p4 - the equivalent of gr.4 at home) and we drove her home. When we pulled into her yard, her Mom came running out to hug us and kept crying "thank you, thank you, welcome". We were welcomed into her home where she laid down grass mats for us to kneel on. She was overwhelmed with gratitude (I am NOT exaggerating). She would not stop sighing and thanking us... and saying "I had nothing but now the Lord has come!". Then she suddenly got up and left the house... only to return 5min later with two CHICKENS!!...alive, flailing and with their legs bound (thank God!). These were what she was saving to buy soap and so she insisted on giving them to us to show her gratitude. I really wanted to leave mine with her, since it would be so much more useful to her (and I was not excited about cheerfully carrying my chicken away with me)... but that would rude... so I did. I was brave :0) ...Dion would have been ashamed of me b/c i felt a little freaked out about the flailing chicken thing.

It was a pretty awesome experience ...the Family was so blessed. And James and I felt honored to be part of the giving! Thank you Friends!!




No comments:

Post a Comment